Seen a Scammer? Report Them!

Seen a scammer? Been caught out? Let the world know so they don't get burned. Add information if you see one that's already been logged - scammers move quickly and change details often to avoid detection. Details you log here will be in major search engines within an hour or two.

Please Like, Share, Tweet etc. to spread the word.
Caroline Ruth White
2014-07-24 01:08:22
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Scammer Source was Conman Dermont Nottingham AucklandEmail Attached
Business Venture Scam  

Scammer Information
NameConman Dermont Nottingham Auckland    
Scam Website nottingham&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=TpDQU4GjDcOF8gXI4IGACQ&sqi=2&ved=0CBoQsA    
Telephone0064 9 624 4037     ⇒ Reverse Phone Lookup (by Spokeo
Fax+64 9 624 4037    

Details of Scam Report
Conman Dermont Nottingham of Onehunga & Hillsborough Auckland
Evonne Puru came to Fair Go because of her concerns over the conduct of advocate, Dermot Nottingham. Evonne, who lives in Australia, needed someone back in New Zealand to represent her in an appeal to the ACC. The ACC had reviewed her back injury and decided she could work full-time again. Evonne disagreed. She said she could not do without ACC's weekly payments of $500.
Evonne approached Dermot Nottingham, who was associated with Advantage Advocacy Limited and ACC Union Limited. Evonne paid ACC Union Ltd a fee of around $13,000. In a letter, Dermot Nottingham explained that this fee included medical reports needed to argue her case. Evonne said she was told an appeal hearing should take place in eight to ten weeks. She was told she'd have two doctor's reports prepared for the hearing.
But after nearly a year, only one doctor's report had been completed. Evonne had to pay the doctor for that report separately, even though Dermott's letter told her that her fee covered this cost. She was then told a second doctor would cost too much. But again, Dermott's letter had said her fee covered this. She was advised to come to New Zealand to do "work trials", where her ability to do a job would be tested at a workplace. She was also advised to travel to New Zealand to attend the appeal hearing. This would all be at her own expense. At this point, Evonne said she lost confidence in Dermot Nottingham, and told him she no longer wanted him to represent her. Advertisement
She hired lawyer Philip Schmidt. He got two doctors' reports, didn't ask her to attend work trials, or to attend the appeal hearing in person. He prepared the case in about a month. Evonne won her appeal. Philip Schmidt charged around $5,000, compared to the $13,000 Evonne paid to ACC Union Limited. Evonne asked Dermott Nottingham for a refund of part of her fee. The two sides could not agree on a figure.
Evonne said Dermot Nottingham was rude and aggressive when she raised her complaint. She said he suggested he would inform the ACC about information from her file that showed her to be a fraud. Evonne rejected that allegation and told us that several years before, she had been ordered by a court to repay money from the ACC. This had been done and she did not believe it was relevant to her appeal hearing. The ACC told Fair Go they were aware of the matter but did not regard it as relevant to the hearing.
Fair Go was also told by the ACC that it had decided it would no longer recognise Dermott Nottingham as an advocate. That decision was taken before Evonne had sought his help.
Dermot Nottingham also suggested there was evidence Evonne had lied about her injury, and therefore had committed perjury at the appeal hearing. Evonne, and her lawyer Philip Schmidt, said this was rubbish. Evonne's lawyer said that an advocate like Dermott Nottingham received a client's personal information in trust and in confidence. He said it was unacceptable to threaten to use it in this way.
Dermot Nottingham joined Fair Go in the studio. He said he did not have enough time to respond fully to the issues in a few minutes. He said he had documents which showed Evonne had perjured herself and lied to a doctor. He said it wasn't up to him to decide whether Evonne was entitled to a refund.
The only other contact we have had on this issue is a fax we received from the Board of Advantage Advocacy which said Dermot Nottingham was not allowed to front up to discuss our questions; that several staff had dealt with Evonne's case; that important witnesses in Evonne's case couldn't readily be contacted; and that finally, Advantage Advocacy had other clients to worry about.
However, every time Fair Go approached Advantage Advocacy after its fax to us, we ended up dealing with Dermot Nottingham.
Fair Go's view: Dermot Nottingham says that he has helped many people. That may be so, but we say that if consumers need an advocate for an ACC case, then based on Evonne's experience, we can't recommend Dermot Nottingham.
82 Goodall St Hillsborough Auckland 1042

Scam Email
THE DOMINION, 12 MAY 2001, Edition 2, Page 12. Investigator\'s Criminal Past Revealed By: KITCHIN Phil DERMOT NOTTINGHAM, the self-styled investigator who plastered the name of the policeman who killed Steven Wallace on the Internet, is a Convicted Thief and a Brawler. Mr Nottingham, who was dumped as an investigator by the Wallace family soon after he began his inquiries into the police shooting of Steven Wallace in Waitara on April 30 last year, also has a conviction for discharging a firearm in public. Mr Nottingham said he had nothing to hide and was prepared to discuss his history with The Dominion, but he had an exclusive agreement to speak to another newspaper and he would not speak till after that paper was published. [Yeah Right!] He said if The Dominion was prepared to print his conviction list, \"why don\'t you print the name of a man who shot a guy in the back . . . is it because you are gutless?\" Mr Nottingham, now of Auckland, was raised as one of five children in a well-off Christchurch family but his life changed when his father died in a road accident and he went to a tough boys\' home. Dominion files show that he was for a time at a private school and then had another stay at another boys\' home, but that by the 1980s, Mr Nottingham was a wealthy young man aged 22. The mission to make money still drove Mr Nottingham in the late 1980s when he moved with his family to Gisborne, leaving a somewhat controversial past in Christchurch behind. He arrived as a white knight but became known colloquially as the \"Sheriff of Nottingham\", and Dermot Nottingham did not like the name calling. He asked for an official police investigation and report after an incident at a central city roundabout in 1989 when Gisborne detective Hemi Hikawai called out as Mr Nottingham and one of his brothers drove past: \"It\'s the Beagle Boys.\" Mr Nottingham has a colourful history with police. It is a past that Mr Nottingham prefers not to talk about. But Gisborne people and police officers who dealt with Mr Nottingham and his brothers Phillip and Mark, remember the family well. So, probably, do judges who have frequently seen the Nottinghams in their courts -- either being charged or alternatively prosecuting in generally failed attempts to charge people ranging from detectives to repossession agents. After a long-running case arising in Gisborne, Dermot was convicted in Auckland District Court on November 1, 1991, of the theft of more than $5000. The charge arose from allegations that the brothers secured a $1.7-million loan from former finance company RSL with furniture and fittings not fully paid for. According to ACT NZ MP Owen Jennings, Dermot Nottingham has a history of run-ins with the police. In 1997, when Mr Nottingham featured in a television current affairs programme as an undercover investigator trying to stop car importers from tampering with odometers, Mr Jennings told Parliament Dermot Nottingham had been apprehended for theft, unlawful interference and burglary in 1978. \"In 1980 he was arrested for wilful damage. \"In 1983 he was arrested for fighting in a public place. \"In 1985 he was arrested for refusing to accompany an officer, using insulting language and assaulting a traffic officer. \"He has been arrested for common assault and the discharge of a firearm in a public place. The list goes on and on,\" Mr Jennings said. \"If the evidence comes from that person, then I have to say it is pretty questionable,\" Mr Jennings told Parliament. Ironically, for a crusader who wanted car dealers who tampered with odometers exposed, Mr Nottingham has a conviction for unlawfully interfering with a motor vehicle. In one High Court case 11 years ago, Justice Robertson said the evidence that Dermot and Philip Nottingham gave on oath was unreal. The brothers were in court because they had not paid a Gisborne glazier, John McLaughlin, $13,000 for window work he did at their Gisborne nightclub, Nottinghams. In contrast to the \"distinct air of unreality\" that Justice Robertson said he felt after hearing the Nottinghams evidence, the judge said he preferred Mr McLaughlin\'s evidence because \"he was transparently honest\". The Nottinghams came to Gisborne brimming with promises of the amount of business they were going to bring to a city flailing under a sea of economic doom. Driving a Porsche when he arrived, Dermot Nottingham often featured in the Gisborne press with his high-flying plans. But it all turned to custard for the Nottinghams as their rest home and nightclub businesses failed and they became involved in a string of court cases and a mud-slinging match with the local police. \"We are basically trying to be honest, straight people . . . Gisborne\'s a horrible town,\" Dermot\'s brother Mark said in 1988 as his brothers were being chased by Gisborne tradesmen for hundreds of thousands of dollars. But it was Mark\'s brothers that some Gisborne people found horrid. The brothers were ordered by the Labour Court in 1989 to pay nearly $20,000 in wages, holiday pay and allowances that they owed to 24 workers at the Gladstone Park Rest Home they set up in the old IHC home at Gisborne. The year before, Gisborne District Court heard extraordinary claims during a hearing into a challenge by the Nottinghams\' mother to the Health Department\'s refusal to grant a licence for the rest home. One former rest home staff member told the court that maggots were discovered under the toenail of a particularly incontinent resident. The former staff member said that generally staff at the rest home were too busy cleaning to give residents all the attention they needed. The court case ended suddenly when the Health Department and Mrs Nottingham reached agreement that she could continue to runt he home till it was sold. In October 1988, the company used by Dermot and Philip to set up their nightclub, but later sold to a Christchurch company when it owed hundreds of thousands of dollars, was wound up. The Nottinghams\' restaurant and nightclub had finally folded after the brothers fell behind in debt repayments for a $1.7 million loan they were supposed to be paying to the failed finance company RSL. The Nottinghams fought hard to keep their businesses going but as they failed they brought unsuccessful private prosecutions against several people, including two Gisborne detectives. They wrote many letters to police bosses, using bush-lawyer language and terms, complaining of alleged police harassment or a lack of action by police officers to whom they made their complaints. At the height of their troubles in Gisborne, the Nottinghams sold their company, Property Stock Ltd, to a Christchurch company partly owned by a Christchurch man, Graeme Hirst Horner. Horner, known to police as \"The Cashmere Burglar\", has a string of convictions and was close to the Nottinghams when they lived in Christchurch and worked evicting difficult tenants for landlords. Horner was a childhood friend of Dermot Nottingham and police considered Dermot Nottingham an accomplice of Horner while they were investigating Horner\'s involvement in stealing jewellery from houses and cars in Cashmere, Christchurch, between 1983 and 1984. Many people spoken to by The Dominion who had dealings with Mr Nottingham refused to speak on the record. But Gisborne security guards, father and son Brian and Kevin McBreen, spoke of altercations they had had with the Nottinghams. Mr McBreen Snr said he and his son were guarding the Nottinghams\' Gladstone Rd rest home for an Auckland firm with a financial interest in the property when it was on the verge of being closed down. After incidents involving Mark and Dermot and the McBreens, police laid assault charges against the brothers and the trial was heard in Napier because there was a belief they would not get a fair hearing in Gisborne. The brothers were found not guilty of assault. The lead-up to the trial was bizarre. Mr McBreen Jnr said Dermot and one of his brothers arrived at the entranceway he was guarding and he claimed he was encouraged to fight. \"I didn\'t. I could see his (Dermot\'s) brother taking photographs.\" Mr McBreen said when he did not respond, Dermot Nottingham began throwing punches. He said the Nottinghams left when he failed to react and police were later given a film of the incident when a camera was found in a car repossessed from the Nottinghams. The pictures were shown at the subsequent jury trial at which the Nottingham brothers were cleared of the assault charges. Another bizarre twist to the Nottinghams\' Gisborne business sortie happened in 1988 when an Auckland firm of private investigators was given the job of investigating the Nottinghams. Investigator Lew Proctor said this week that he received an anonymous call and a $1200 advance with instructions for his firm to dig up adverse information on the Nottinghams of Gisborne. Mr Proctor said he later discovered the call came from a house owned by the Nottinghams. {They were investigating themselves to lay a false trail}

Tag Cloud

  |   Add to Report?   |   More Business Venture Scams   |   Problems?   |  
 Got more information on this Scam? Add to Report
Search scamalot