Seen a scammer? Been caught out? Let the world know so they don't get burned. Add information if you see one that's already been logged - scammers move quickly and change details often to avoid detection. Details you log here will be in major search engines within an hour or two.Please Like, Share, Tweet etc. to spread the word.
|Scam Reporter||Scam Tips Received|
Richmond, Victoria, Australia
Classified Ads Scam
| Im selling my bike and keep getting scammers wanting to buy using paypal |
I contacted him via email and like so many other scammers he was buying it for his brother in law and works at sea so can\'t come to see the bike, but will pay via paypal and use a courier company to pick it up
THE SCAM ALWAYS IS THAT:
* THE PERSON IS BUYING IT FOR THEIR BROTHER OR FATHER OR BROTHER-IN-LAW (Thats a new on for me)
* THE PERSON ALWAYS LIVES/WORKS AT SEA AS A MARINE ENGINEER OR ON OIL RIGS.
* THEY ALWAYS SAY THEIR USE OF INTERNET IS RESTRICTED OR DIFFICULT (yet they have no problem emailing straight back every time)
* THEIR ENGLISH IS POOR
* THEY ALWAYS STATE PAYPAL AS THEIR ONLY WAY OF PAYING AND QUITE OFTEN GIVE YOU A BRIEF RUN DOWN ON PAYPAL AND ITS SAFETY AND A LINK TO PAYPAL TO SIGN UP.
* THEIR SHIPPER OR MOTOR TRADER WILL PICK IT UP FOR THEM
* ONCE YOU MENTION YOUR FINAL PRICE THEY ALWAY ACCEPT AND PUSH YOU FOR YOUR PAYPAL DETAILS.
* THEY WILL NEVER TELL YOU THE NAME OF THIER SHIPPER OR COMPANY YOU WORK FOR AND SOMETIMES WONT GIVE ME THEIR NAME.
Supposedly paypal is not as secure as one might think. I have been told that once you see the funds placed into your paypal account and sell your bike, the scammers then have time to remove it leaving you with nothing. With one scammer i told him i would only tell him where he could pick up the bike once the funds had cleared paypal and were in my bank account...i never heard back.